Muslim prayer has not been always banned outright and there are some cases of token concessions in the past, including Saddam Hussein's prayer at the Mihrab in December 1974. The faded mural paintings inside the blind arches above the outer doorway include a depiction of Our Lady of the Assumption in the middle, with Saint Michel and Saint Raphael on the sides. Its current appearance dates from the work of Hernán Ruiz II, who took over work on the cathedral in 1547 after the passing of his father (Hernán Ruiz I). The small Postigo de la Leche ("Door of the Milk") on the west side of the building has Gothic details dating from 1475.
If you can climb the 54m (177 ft) to the top, you will be rewarded with some great views of the courtyard and mezquita below. The Mezquita’s main chapel (Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption) is found right in the center of the complex. The patio is where the Muslims would wash as part of their purification ritual before entering the mosque. But that’s just what the mosque is – a peculiar but beautiful masterpiece that stands testament to 1500 years of human civilization.
The Mosque-Cathedral
The cathedral chapter eventually won its case by petitioning Charles V, king of Castile and Aragon, who gave his permission for the project to proceed. The Royal Chapel was constructed in a lavish Mudéjar style with a ribbed dome very similar to the neighbouring dome of the Villaviciosa Chapel and with surfaces covered in carved stucco decoration typical of Nasrid architecture at the time. While it is sometimes believed to have been started by Alfonso X, Heather Ecker has argued that documentary evidence proves it wasn't begun before the 14th century when Constance of Portugal, wife of Ferdinand IV, made an endowment for the chapel.
A unique artistic achievement in the heart of the Historic Centre of Cordoba
- The Renaissance dome, with its sculptural articulation, directly opposes the mosque’s structural restraint.
- The construction resumed under architect Juan Sequero de Matilla in 1616 and the tower was finished in 1617.
- The building was formally registered for the first time by the Córdoba’s Cathedral Cabildo in 2006 on the basis of the article 206 of the Ley Hipotecaria from 1946 (whose constitutionality has been questioned).
- This maqsura area covers three bays along the southern qibla wall in front of the mihrab, and was marked off from the rest of the mosque by an elaborate screen of intersecting horseshoe and polylobed arches; a feature which would go on to be highly influential in the subsequent development of Moorish architecture.
- The Royal Chapel was constructed in a lavish Mudéjar style with a ribbed dome very similar to the neighbouring dome of the Villaviciosa Chapel and with surfaces covered in carved stucco decoration typical of Nasrid architecture at the time.
- The area of the mosque’s mihrab and maqsura, along the south wall, was converted into the Chapel of San Pedro and was reportedly where the host was stored.
He also added a new, richly-decorated mihrab (a niche built into the qibla wall which indicates the direction of prayer) and a large maqsurah (an area that was reserved for rulers during prayers). The first minaret in all of Al-Andalus, it was built in the courtyard of the mosque. On the opposite side of the hall, the naves opened out into an impressive porticoed courtyard, which was also part of the original building and the location for ritual purification prior to prayer. A defining feature of the original mosque is its hypostyle hall, an expansive grid of columns supporting double-tiered horseshoe arches.
History of the Mezquita
Al-Hakam II's work on the mosque also included the commissioning of a new minbar (pulpit) in 965, which took about 5 to 7 years to finish. Abd ar-Rahman III's son and successor, al-Hakam II (r. 961–976), was a cultured man who was involved in his father's architectural projects. Mosques were normally aligned with the qibla (the direction of prayer), which is theoretically the direction of Mecca. The Great Mosque was built in the context of the new Umayyad Emirate in Al-Andalus which Abd ar-Rahman I founded in 756.
- Soon after this date both the middle dome of the maqsura and the wall surfaces around the mihrab were covered in rich Byzantine-influenced gold mosaics.
- The altarpiece was designed in a Mannerist style by Alonso Matías and construction began in 1618.
- The small Postigo de la Leche (“Door of the Milk”) on the west side of the building has Gothic details dating from 1475.
- Next to the base of the tower is the Puerta del Perdón (“Door of Forgiveness”), one of the two northern gates of the building.
- The arches are doubled, which at the time was a new building innovation, allowing for higher ceilings to be built.
- Under the rule of the Visigoths, the Basilica of San Vicente occupied this very site, and later, after the Moslems bought part of the plot of land, a primitive Mosque was built.
The Central Nave: A Rupture in Spatial Logic
The flames reached the Chapel of Expectation, and after the firefighters intervened, the roof of this chapel collapsed under the weight of the water. Further restorations of features like chapels and some of the outer gates have continued to take place up to the late 2010s. Further research work and archaeological excavations were carried out on the mosque structure and in the Courtyard of the Oranges by Félix Hernández between 1931 and 1936. Further restoration works concentrating on the former mosque structure were carried out between 1879 and 1923 under the direction of Velázquez Bosco, who among other things dismantled the baroque elements that had been added to the Villaviciosa Chapel and uncovered the earlier structures there. Patricio Furriel was responsible for restoring the mihrab's Islamic mosaics, including the portions which had been lost. In 1727 the tower was damaged by another storm and in 1755 pieces of it (mainly decorative details) were damaged by the 1755 Lisbon Earthquake.
It’s the fact that the building tells the story of over 1500 years. Its roof is held up by a series of double arches made up of its iconic alternating red and white bricks. This is one of the reasons why the mosque, along with Cordoba’s historic center, were declared a UNESCO World Heritage site. In 1994, the original World Heritage property was extended to include not only the Mosque-Cathedral, but also the surrounding area and a number of historic buildings and monuments from Roman, Islamic and Christian times. Added to and altered but never demolished, this architectural hybrid is today a truly unique artistic creation.
It was originally the gate by which the Muslim emir and his officials entered the mosque and it presumably existed since the mosque's first construction by Abd ar-Rahman I in the 8th century. At the centre of the ensemble on the west side is a large episcopal throne, commissioned in 1752, that resembles the design of an altarpiece. The altar of the Capilla Mayor was begun in 1618 and designed in a Mannerist style by Alonso Matías. On the dome itself, are the images of the eight Fathers of the Church along the outer edge and an image of the Holy Trinity at its center, which together are part of a Counter-Reformist iconographic program. The elliptical dome of the crossing rests on four pendentives which are sculpted with images of the four evangelists.
The Great Mosque of Cordoba
Ultimately, the Mosque-Cathedral of Córdoba is more than an architectural landmark; it is a living document of cultural convergence, conflict, and coalescence. How can architects navigate the integration of divergent architectural traditions without diminishing either? The Mosque-Cathedral also prompts reflection on spatial hybridity in modern architectural practice. It challenges the assumption that interventions must be either wholly preservational or entirely transformative. With the Christian conversion, chapels, altars, and choir stalls were embedded within the existing framework. Horseshoe and polylobed arches, adorned with alternating red and white https://www.velwinscasino.gr/ voussoirs, create a dynamic interplay of color and form.
CORDOBA GUIDE
To the north is a spacious courtyard (the former sahn), surrounded by an arcaded gallery, with gates on the north, west, and east sides, and fountains that replace the former mosque fountains used for ablutions. After all of its historical expansions, the mosque-cathedral covers an area of 590 by 425 feet (180 m × 130 m). A restoration project began on the bell tower in 1991 and finished in 2014, while the transept and choir of the Renaissance cathedral were also restored between 2006 and 2009. More recent scholars have noted that modern restorations since the 19th century have partly focused on "re-islamicizing" (in architectural terms) parts of the Mosque-Cathedral. During this period, in 1882, the cathedral and mosque structure was declared a National Monument. In 1816 the original mihrab of the mosque was uncovered from behind the former altar of the old Chapel of San Pedro.